What is the Occupational Therapy Board of New Zealand (OTBNZ)?
The Occupational Therapy Board of New Zealand (OTBNZ) is a health regulatory authority. We ensure the safety of consumers using occupational therapy services. We do this by making sure all occupational therapists meet the specifications of the Health Practitioners Competence Assurance Act 2003.
New legislation to impact of health practitioners
There are significant changes coming into effect on 1 July 2019 which will impact on your practice.
What are the changes?
There are two regulatory frameworks that will have an impact on the health sector;
- New requirements on information sharing within the Family Violence Act 2018 (Reprinted 12 April 2019) .
- New requirement on information sharing introduced by section 65A to 66D of the Oranga Tamariki Act 1989 .
Where have the changes come from?
The agencies of Ministry of Health, Oranga Tamariki, Ministry of Justice and ACC have be working collaboratively to introduce these changes.
How will it affect me?
As an occupational therapist the changes will affect the way you share information with other agencies you come into contact with. You will need to understand these changes regardless of where you work. We encourage you to work with your employer and colleagues to understand how these changes will affect your practice.
Remember competence four requires you to practise in a safe, legal, ethical and culturally competent way.
Where can I get further information?
In addition to the above you may find the following links to guidance documents helpful:
- Information Sharing to support tamariki welling and safety
- govt.nz Information Sharing Guidance
- Ministry of Health – New information sharing schemes
- Information Sharing Oranga Tamariki (PDF)
- Information Sharing Family Violence (PDF)
Celebrating 10 Years!
Congratulations to our Chief Executive Andrew Charnock who is celebrating 10 years with the Board! He is pictured alongside the Board Chair, Rob Molyneux.
OTBNZ Webinar Series
- The Role of the ePortfolio Supervisor Webinar Powerpoint
- ePortfolio audit process – July 2nd
- Supervision for new graduate/overseas/return to practice – August 6th
- Removing new graduate/overseas/return to practice conditions – September 3rd
- Health Information Privacy Act – October 1st
- Registration and applying for practising certificate as a new graduate – November 29th
Click here for our latest newsletter
Following the success of last years symposiums the Board will be holding symposiums/huis again this year in the following locations – West Coast, Gisborne, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Tauranga, Invercargill, Whangarei, Nelson and Napier. The symposiums/huis are free and open to all practitioners and students. The programme is from 8:30am – 3:00pm with lunch provided.
We are holding symposiums/huis in the small towns this year, but hope to return to the large centres in 2020.
A sample of the programme can be seen here
To register please click here:
Locations & Dates:
- Tauranga – Saturday 13 July Poututerangi Marae Tauranga Programme
- Invercargill – Saturday 14 September
- Whangarei – Saturday 19 October
- Nelson – CANCELLED – OT Board to be represented Regional Study day on Thursday 14th November
- Napier – Saturday 7 December
For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 0800 99 77 55
The Occupational Therapy Board has put into effect new fees from January 31st 2019.
Please click here for a list of the changes.
Click here for an explanation as to how the new fees were decided.
Occupational Therapist Workforce
Health Practitioner Disciplinary Tribunal (HPDT)
HPDT decisions for occupational therapists can be seen here